I spend a lot of time reviewing killmails so here are some choice fails.
- 52.8 B Officer/T2 Erebus (Gallente Titan) link
- 155.3 B lowsec Obelisk (Gallente Freighter) link
- 2.4 M damage Power Diagnostic System II fitted Thanatos (Gallente Carrier) link
- Two SOLODRAKBANSOLODRAKBANSO Anshar’s (Gallente Jump Freighter) killed by their own Alliance’s POS 3.8 B link and 4.4 B link
- 7x Warp Core fitted Dominix killed in lowsec link
- Heavy Pulse Laser II fitted Dominix link
- Phoenix (Caldari Dreadnought) taken out by a POS link
- Mixed fit Dominix link
- NPC killed Thanatos (Gallente Carrier) link
- 3.0 B Charon (Caldari Freighter) link
This month we got a shiny new Thanatos into our WH.
- Thanatos warping away from a WH link
- New Thanatos‘ first time in WH space after entering through a lowsec link in the Solitude region link
- Vexor (Gallente Cruiser) with an active cyno and cloaked Thanatos in the background after a cyno jump link
- Proteus (T3 Cruiser) camping a WH link
- Two Dominix’es camping a WH link
- Three Remote Repping Dominix’es near a Lava planet link
- Thanatos and three Dominix’es taking on a Sleeper BS link
Don’t even think about getting into Capital ships until you have Jump Drive Operation to V with the two support skills, Jump Drive Calibration and Jump Fuel Conservation, to at least III if not IV. These are completely necessary skills in order to move a capital around. Jump Drive Calibration is especially important because it grants a 25% increase in maximum jump range per level (!). Additionally, Jump Fuel Conservation reduces fuel consumption by -10% per level.
We got a link to a C5 with a C140 WH (1,350,000,000 kg max jumpable mass) to Babirmoult (0.18) in the Solitude region. I brought out a scout from WH space and watched the only station in the system for an hour as I planned out the jumps for the Carrier and coordinated logistics with my Cyno-capable corpmate. If my Jump Drive Operation support skills were at 0, then it would have taken us 6 jumps. Good thing I spent the time training up the support skills to III.
Only 1 in local in the WH enterance system. I watched as he switched in between a Legion (T3 Cruiser) and a Sacrilege (T2 Heavy Assault Ship). Meanwhile, in the neighboring systems of Faurulle and Agaullores, there was a 25 person lowsec gategamp. Sheesh, well Eve is about adventure, right?
We decided that the timing wasn’t going to get any better so we planned our route.
- Lonetrek, Otsasai (0.35) Caldari State
- Black Rise, Iwisoda (0.24) Caldari State, Distance: 8.431 ly
- Placid, Grispire (0.18) Gallente Federation, Distance: 8.265 ly
- Solitude, Babirmoult (0.18) Gallente Federation, Distance: 9.333 ly
I got my scout into the 1st system, Otsasai, and cloaked him up outside the station.
Corpmate with a Cyno cruiser in place in the next system, green light issued for jump, cyno up, WHEEE! *jump*
I laded some 8k off of the Cyno cruiser so I cloaked up. Now comes the fun part where your Cyno ship cannot move for 5 minutes. After the capital ship successfully jumps, you have two options. Wait for the cyno cycle to finish or self-destruct your ship. The first two systems that we had to jump into were practically empty so we waited the full Cyno cycle.
Everything was going great until the last jump into the system with the WH when I got this notification when attempting to jump:
[ 2010.02.13 04:52:58 ] (info) This jump destination requires 7466 unit(s) of Oxygen Isotopes, but you only have 6615 in your cargo hold.
Um, uh oh. I tried to jump again.
[ 2010.02.13 04:53:10 ] (info) This jump destination requires 7466 unit(s) of Oxygen Isotopes, but you only have 6615 in your cargo hold.
Additionally, the WH from our C6 into the connecting C5 was going to close in less than 3 hours.
The Cyno Cruiser flew past some lowsec gatecamps in neighboring systems and into position. We dropped the last cyno right on top of the WH (less than 5km) so the Carrier could jump in right away.
Local looks good, green light issued for cyno, cyno up, *jump*.
[ 2010.02.13 05:22:38 ] h > lit @ 2.8k
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:01 ] Blake > landed 7k away
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:04 ] Blake > closing range
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:10 ] h > burn fast 😛
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:22 ] Blake > 60 m/s!
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:23 ] Blake > lol
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:26 ] h> XD
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:37 ] Blake > almost there
Overall a success. Now we have some remote repping power in WH space.
Cyno Operation Tips:
- After your Cyno module is activated, click it again to stop the cycle. This will ensure that you do not go into another Cyno cycle and become a sitting duck for another 5 minutes.
- Scout, scout, scout! Have corp mate(s) or alt(s) scout 1 or 2 systems ahead in your capital ship jump path. You can watch local traffic and really see when you have a good jump window.
- Train the Jump Drive Operation support skills up to at least III, if not IV.
- Cyno operations can be a blast. How else can you get through 13 systems in 1 jump?
- Don’t fly what you cannot afford to loose.
- Oh, and as always, check your clones and ship insurance before undocking.
When I started my Eve account, I had dreams of becoming a master builder. Since then I’ve put a lot of industry jobs on hold to go mine in WH space. To some mining is boring. I however, have enjoyed my mining career. I’ve been able to buy some nice toys due to hours of sitting on Arkonor roids including a Freighter, T3 Cruiser, Orca, 2x Hulks, Plexes for a 3rd account, and even a Carrier that is currently sitting in lowsec awaiting a good link to our WH system.
Even though I have concentrated on mining over the past 1.5 years, I have done some building such as T1/T2 drones, T1/T2 Hybrid guns, and basic T1 modules since the BPOs were cheap. Now I’m embarking on a large project – build a Carrier in WH space since I’m becoming impatient waiting for a nice link from lowsec to our WH system and honestly, what is Eve without new challenges?
As many of you know, the majority of Eve projects begin with a spreadsheet to see if your idea is ISK-feasible. So now onto the estimations.
With a ME10, PE1 Thanatos BPC, I will need:
- Megacyte 17,941
- Zydrine 41,849
- Nocxium 232,855
- Isogen 823,502
- Mexallon 5,287,183
- Pyerite 14,128,271
- Tritanium 57,790,100
This comes to 784,000 m3 of minerals with Tritanium being the biggest spacehog. Sheesh, that’s two freighters full of minerals!
I scanned a link to highsec via a C2 and assembled my NPC shopping list:
- X-Large Ship Assembly Array, 90 M – builds the Carrier
- Component Assembly Array, 9 M – builds the Capital Ship parts
- Capital Ship Construction Skillbook, 65 M – I allows you to build fighters, III allows you to build Carriers. Only took some 3 hours to train to III with +4’s
- Small Ship Assembly Array, 90 M – builds Fighter Drones
Along with the NPC orders, I needed some BPCs so I started searching contracts in Jita.
- Capital BPCs purchased in Jita 4-4, each 5 unit run BPC was around 2-6 M for a total of about 180 M
- Thanatos BPC ME10 PE1, 70 M
- Firbolg BPO ME 20 PE 5, 75 M
Raw mineral cost based on Jita 4-4 buy orders:
- Megacyte 44.3 M
- Zydrine 56.3 M
- Nocxium 20.9 M
- Isogen 44.5 M
- Mexallon 15.6 M
- Pyerite 90.4 M
- Tritanium 156.0 M
Total: 428.1 M
A few nights ago we had a route from our WH -> C5 -> C2 (occupied with miners) -> C2 -> Highsec and lowesec exits. My corpmate and I made 2x Iteron V runs to get the X-Large Ship Assembly Array (25,000 m3) and Component Assembly Array (12,500 m3) into our WH system. They are currently anchored and offline (as to not consume fuel) since we are currently gathering minerals.
The biggest hogs are Mexallon @ 53,000 m3, Pyerite @ 142,000 m3, and Tritanium @ 578,000 m3 (!). That’s a LOT of Tritanium. Needless to say, I’ve been working on Veldspar, Plagioclase, and Scordite roids since they have the highest yield of the three minerals. I have the money to buy the Tritanium from Jita, but lack the will to haul it all in. So the more Veldspar I can eat up in WH grav sites, the less I will have to haul.
I’ve just started mining and have one hangar filled with raw ore so stay tuned for more industry adventures!
[Feb 17 Update]
Of course a few days after I write this article and bring construction equipment into WH space we get a nice WH link that is big enough to allow Capitals to enter. Details here.