1. There is no way not to die. You are going to die.
2. Possibly quickly.
3. Protect yourself from financial ruin by buying and hiding in a PoS
4. Protect your PoS from ruin by having stront and 2-3 weeks of fuel, at least, at all times.
5. Never enter an outgoing or incoming WH without either a fully insured unfitted ship and an alternate route back in, or a scan probe launcher and a shitload of patience.
6. Did I mention you are going to die?
7. The directional is your friend. But it’s a shitty friend. It’s a way around getting ganked so the gankers have ways around it. Expect to die.
8. If you find yourself outside your PoS for any reason, be aligned to a planet.
9. Don’t forget to cloak when scanning.
10. There are people who get their giggles by killing people like you. They are, statistically, much better at killing you than you are at not being killed.
11. Never leave your PoS without some method of getting back to it from highsec. This usually means having a scan alt logged off in system or in the PoS.
12. If you don’t have a scan alt, you may as well kiss your assets goodbye and start waiting for PoS fuel notifications as your base dies cold and alone because you got podded and didn’t have a damn scan alt.
13. Any WH connecting you to somewhere else is a potential threat. Be aware of incoming WHs, because someone opened that door straight to you and you better believe that they’re gonna use it.
14. If you see a ship you don’t recognize on the scanner, run. And possibly alert anyone you happen to be with.
15. If your corp mates say run, run.
16. If your corp mates start shouting, run.
17. if your corp mate types a sentence fragment, spelled poorly, consisting of any two of the following words, run.
“Sisters””fuck””combat probes””probes””directional””crap””dead””podded””run””any ship name you or he is not currently flying””back to pos””damnit””ANYTHING in capslock””gibberish”
18. Pick some symbol on your keyboard, like # or %. Rename all the ships at your pos with that symbol. If you see a ship without that symbol, run. Warning, easily countered.
19. NEVER assume that the designated Dir scanner dude is scanning. If he has a heart attack or takes a piss, you’re fucked and he could just say they had good scan ships.
20. Did I mention you’re going to die?
21. Getting whatever you came for safely inside the PoS does not mean it’s safe. Get it to Jita first, then call it safe.
22. Anchor your hangar and maintenance array next to each other. Bookmark one of them and call it “PoS” warp to it in case of speedy ship swap.
23. Heavy interdictors are small ships that mean you can’t run away, and by the time you see one on the scanner, you’re already fucked.
24. DO NOT BRING A T2 RIGGED FACTION FIT HULK INTO A WH, YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT IF YOU DO SO.(Yes, this has happened. Lost it in under 3 hours. No, it wasn’t me.)
24b. Hell, don’t bring ANYTHING faction fit or t2 rigged unless a) you’re rich enough to buy two more of em or b) you don’t believe in Murphy’s Law.
25. Do not rig your hulk with drone mining augmenters or cargo expander. Use low-friction nozzles, they decrease align time and have saved my ass when there was literally a second difference between getting scrammed by a Loki and getting away.
26. Active tank for sleepers, buffer fit for PvP, mix of both if the site isn’t too hard for gank insurance.
27. If you are attacked during a sleeper run, target the ship and try and scram him. If you didn’t bring scrams to a sleeper fight(understandable) shoot him. The sleepers will eventually switch to him.
28. If a corp mate types”Hey, is that your ____” start aligning and getting up to speed with the nearest celestial until clarification is obtained.
29. If you see a scan ship on the directional, scan again and it’s not there, do not assume that he has left, or so help me I will tear a hole from my WH to yours through sheer rage and beat you over the head with a cloaking device.
30. If you live in a class 5 wormhole, remember iambeastx has a static class 5 entrance and will find you…. eventually. Assuming he figures out how to work a scan ship.
31. If you came into the WH to fight, there are people in here already that fight better than you. If you came here to mine, watch out for the first two groups.
32. Some people will build carriers and rorquals in places that mass limitations would not usually allow them. If a carrier drops on you in a C3, don’t be surprised.
33. Carriers can get into C4s, but not easily and only from a nullsec or incoming link from a C5 or C6. Don’t be too worried.
34. When in a C5 or C6, be worried about carriers. One carrier can shut down an entire mining op until they get bored, and a carrier w/ support fleet can screw over anything else. Except…another carrier with support fleet. Have fun.
35. If your PoS has no guns, jerks will shoot it. If your PoS has guns, they will send interceptors to extinguish your ammo. If you employ webbers, they will warp out and rep. If you employ warp scrammers, they will spider tank. The goal of a WH pos is not to destroy but to annoy the fuck out of. If they have a small force, then they’re not a problem for a PoS. If they have a large force, then they’re not gonna be bothered by a few turrets. Employ shield hardeners, SB ops, and jammers to make them lose interest.
36. Have the max amount of strontium. Or you will regret it.
37. If you afk outside the bubble of a PoS, you will probably die. If you’re cloaked, you may get uncloaked. It happens.
38. C1-C2 are soloable with few skills. C3s take some skills, C4s require two people and RR, C5s require at least five people and C6s require at least ten attentive people.
39. You are going to die.
40. Do not bring implants into a WH and expect them to last over a week. I bought a set of +3s, they lasted 3 months, then I got podded twice in the same 3 days.
41. Skilled scanners can scan out a mining op and only have the probes visible to you for seven seconds. And in the WH, the scanners operate. Make the connection?
42. Never assume that the ships you see on the scanner are the only ships in the wormhole.
43. Whs will make you obscenely rich, assuming you can find an unoccupied one, not get ganked within the first week and get whatever you came for out of the wh.
44. A wormhole in your system is not active unless you or someone else warps to it. Do not activate your static WH unless you need an exit, or you’ve got one more route people can use to find you.
45. By popular opinion, a drake is a good, cheap ship for running up to class three WHs. Don’t forget, popular opinion in an internet spaceship game doesn’t mean much.
To date, I’ve lost two hulks, a covetor, a vexor, a thorax, several Itty Vs, two pods, three domis and a large tower to the WH.
BTY if anyone finds the tower “Calculated Risk” floating in a C6 somewhere and can get me a route there, drop me a line.
45. Don’t type a blog post while mining in a C6.
As I continue to become more involved in my corporation’s wormhole efforts, communication between members is more paramount than ever. Alerts on ganks, bad nullsec links, moves to a fresh wormhole, and which grav site is currently open are critical pieces of information. There is only so much a MOTD in your chat channel can communicate.
Have you ever used any tools besides TeamSpeak/Ventrilo to communicate with your corpmates such as a phone conversation, text message or email? Do you feel like this encroaches on your real life? Is it a step towards Eve addiction?
I have used text messages and emails to coordinate wormhole moves and getting ore out to empire for refining and I have found it to be very convenient. Getting a quick email about a wormhole move and letting my corpmates know that I will be online in 6 hours to help with the move has been working out very well for me.
Warning: written at 4 am just after finishing the movie. contains unabridged appreciation and a small bit of profanity.
FUCK that was the most bitching movie I’ve ever seen.
Going into the thing, I had no idea of the cast, no idea of who made the thing, no idea about anything. Most of my thoughts going into the movie were related to “aww, it’s in 3D? Is there some sort of non-3D version I could watch?”, mainly because the only 3D movie I had seen was spy kids, and half of that thing was people poking their arms at me and everyone around me gasping.
Thirty seconds into the movie, however, my low expectations were completely obliterated by the sheer beauty on display. Avatar doesn’t use the 3d bits to make peoples arms look cool, it turns the movie into a fucking reality. There have been more movies than I can count that start with the camera going over forests, but this one just looked so… damn beautiful.
This… film was the most involving piece of media I’ve ever seen. The plot is fairly straightforward, and anyone that’s seen the trailers could probably piece it together, but the 3D aspect makes itself known once again with a just plain fuggin beautiful presentations. In the scene that all movies these days seem to have, where something is going horribly, horribly wrong for the main protagonist, I was literally cursing at the screen, and several moments brought me alllllmost to tears.
Not giving away any spoilers that would get a bounty on my chars head, here is a brief plot synopsis based on what I was saying at the time:
that’s not good.
that’s not good either.
phew, this might be good.
this is good.
this could be good or bad.
this is beautiful.
that looks fun.
that guy’s gonna get a spike through his head (spoiler: he didn’t)
ho boy, this is awkward.
that looks fun.
that looks dangerous.
boy, this is gonna be awkward later on.
go protagonist, go!
run protagonist, run!
oh fuck shit fuck shit fuck shit fuck.
ohhhhhh, fuck shit, fuck.
motivational speech? parently not.
oh fuck… ohhhh, fuck. oh, fuck, this is not good.
oh fuck, run!
run run run!
lol, can’t believe that worked.
wow, can’t believe that didn’t work.
oh, hells yes.
oh…this ain’t good.
oh, hell yes!
well… that was depressing.
well… that was awesome.
crap, that’s depressing.
oh thank god, he wasn’t there.
oh crap, he was there.
oh, hell yes!
aww, how sweet
there was no way that wasn’t going to work.
Anyway, a very emotional movie and more beautiful that any film I’ve ever seen. My recommendation doesn’t mean much, but I do, and the three friends that were with me watching it agreed that if the movie was female, they would probably sleep with it. Ahh, college boys. Again, effing beautiful movie, worth all of the 250 million or whatever it took to produce it, go watch it because in the words of someone I follow “Watch it anyway, because you will never again experience anything like it”.