1. You probably won’t die, unless you’re carrying something worth lots of iskies or sentimental value, at which point Murphy’s law kicks in and it explodes half a kilometer off the station.
2. Try to make sure that the isk required to destroy your ship is more than the isk you currently have in your ship. example: Covetor BPO in a shuttle, bad idea. Covetor BPO in a freighter: silly, but good idea.
3. Freighters, although big and awesome, can be killed. It doesn’t happen often, but it will. Don’t autopilot with more than a bil in cargo.
4. Tech 1 haulers explode when a rookie ship coughs at them. Make sure you’re either good at running away quickly or never carry things that even LOOK valuable.
5. Making a courier contract and doing it yourself will not stop people from seeing into your cargo.
6. Nor will putting your stuff in GSCs (Giant Secure Container)
7. A cloaky hauler is not invulnurable, a blockade runner is fairly invincible w/ the right strategies.
8. The best defence against suicide ganks is an Orca (Industrial Command Ship). Would-be gankers can’t see inside it’s corp hangar so they won’t risk the time it takes.
9. If you have to AP to Jita, AP to one or two jumps before Jita. A smartbombing BS costs about 3-4 mil after insurance.
10. A BS can kill your hauler. Most BSs, after insurance, cost under ten mil, fittings included. Be very nervous while hauling more than ten mil in a T1 hauler.
11. A typical highsec gank of a deep space transport takes 4-5 BSs. Be careful when hauling more than 50 mil.
12. A typical highsec gank of a cloaky hauler never effing happens, because you’re cloaked.
13. Autopilot and going AFK are the two most easiest way to spray paint “hot fresh iskies” on the side of your ship.
14. A deep space transport can fit a goodly tank at the expense of cargo.
15. If you fit your deep space transport for tank you’re either trying to get past a gatecamp where you KNOW a Heavy Interdictor is not present or you’re being an idiot.
16. The people with brains will look past the deep space transport’s tank bonuses and note that it has enough powergrid to fit a microwarpdrive.
17. It is a perfectly legitimate use of game mechanics to align to a gate, engage cloak and MWD, then disengage them after one cycle and engage warp to produce an insta-warp effect.
18. Freighters are slow as frozen molasses. Ask a corpmate nicely for his webbs.
19. Freighters are essentially giant cardboard boxes. If you get wardecced, do not take them out of station.
20. Skate around wardecs by keeping your freighter alt in a newbie corp. This may make #19 difficult.
21. To let an out-of-corp person web you, have then jettison ammo and have the freighter take from it.
22. Oh wait.
22. Have the freighter pilot in another ship take from your can, then webb. Pay very close attention if you get concord threats.
23. when hauling through lowsec, use a blockade runner (warp cloaked), occator (Mwd/cloak trick), Orca (MWD trick, very expensive and skill intensive), or a freighter (with several friends)
24. The cloak/MWD trick will not help very much against Warp bubbles in nullsec. Use a cloaky hauler.
25. When caught in a warp bubble, find the closest edge NOT on an align point with anything. Approach, turn on AB/MWD and cloak. Slooooowly make your way to safety.
26. Drones decloak you. IF you get decloaked for any reason you’re probably dead, burn out the bubble and try to align to something.
27. When in a T1 hauler/cloaky hauler, be wary of smartbombing gatecamps. Silly as it seems, have a tank on your cloaking ship.
28. If you find yourself screwed downriver, like protocloaked w/ no velocity next to a ten man gatecamp, sit there and wait for someone else to get caught, THEN try to run.
29. Evade station gatecamps by having a BM about 1,000 km away from the station on a line with how you undock. Instawarp happens every time and foils gatecamps, assuming no bubbles.
30. Jita IV moon four station has a moon and planet that fits this criteria.
31. In a fight between haulers and combat ships, there can only be two endings: the hauler dies or the hauler lives. Try to avoid the former situation by being verrrry careful.
32. Having a hauler that can warp cloak or protowarp scout for a hauler that can’t is a good strategy when traveling through lowsec.
33. Using two haulers that can cloak is a much better strategy.
34. Despite what your friends say, using a scout in null and lowsec is not “unmanly”.
35. JFs make all your lowsec hauling problems go away, unless you don’t know how to use one, in which case you shouldn’t get one.
36. If you’re too “noobish” to understand any of the above, then what the hell are you doing w/ over 100 mil and/or ask a corpmate.
[March 9 Addition]
0.59 B Madger Mark II outside Jita 4-4 killmail
Hauling 360 mil worth of fullerides 25j: annoying and slow.
Hauling 360 mil of fullerides in an itty V: stupid as hell.
Cloak/AB warping on gates where you see BSs w/ sensor boosters: Sensible.
Getting ganked on the jita gate after 25 jumps of cloak/AB: ironic.
Maintaining a positive outlook just to screw with ganker’s head: Priceless.
[03:04:31] Black Necromunger > IM V QUICK, I CANT TELL YOU. unLES YOU PAY ME OFC
[03:04:37] Indiego Montoya > …
[03:04:44] Indiego Montoya > OFC?
[03:04:50] Black Necromunger > OF COURSE
[03:05:15] Indiego Montoya > ah.
[03:05:29] Indiego Montoya > no thanks.
[03:05:41] Indiego Montoya > but put bluntly
[03:05:41] Black Necromunger > HOW MUCH WAS IN THERE
[03:05:45] Indiego Montoya > 360 mil.
[03:06:10] Black Necromunger > I GOT ABOUT 200 THEN.. 😦
[03:06:20] Black Necromunger > FANCY BUYING IT BACK
[03:06:43] Indiego Montoya > …not really
[03:06:48] Indiego Montoya > but can i ask you for 10%?
[03:06:58] Indiego Montoya > so i can afford to keep flying haulers w/ 360 mil in them?
[03:06:58] Black Necromunger > HOW DID YOU GET THAT STUFF
[03:07:18] Indiego Montoya > pay me 10%. ofc
[03:07:30] Black Necromunger > NO
[03:07:31] Black Necromunger > LOL
[03:07:34] Indiego Montoya > lol
[03:07:40] Black Necromunger > NOT A HOPE
[03:07:43] Black Necromunger > 🙂
[03:07:45] Indiego Montoya > 5? 😛
[03:07:46] Black Necromunger > IM A BUSINESS MAN
[03:07:52] Black Necromunger > NOTHING NOT A PENNY
[03:07:54] Indiego Montoya > then here’s the business:P
[03:08:07] Indiego Montoya > if you give me 10% i can keep making those large amounts
[03:08:10] Black Necromunger > NO BUSINESS GIVNG ISK AWAY
[03:08:17] Black Necromunger > PLENTY MORE FISH TO KILL
[03:08:21] Indiego Montoya > if you dont, i cant and you wont be able to gank me cause i wont have anything 😛
[03:08:23] Black Necromunger > ONLY MADE 2 BIL TODAY 😦
[03:08:42] Indiego Montoya > oh dead
[03:08:45] Indiego Montoya > oh dear*
[03:08:52] Black Necromunger > I KNW SHITE AINT IT
[03:09:13] Indiego Montoya > not really
[03:09:23] Indiego Montoya > that was about a weeks pay for me.
[03:09:43] Indiego Montoya > so i’m honestly finding it hard to sympathize.
[03:10:11] Indiego Montoya > seven days and 700 mil till a freighter 😛
[03:10:17] Black Necromunger > PAY ME AND ILL TELL YOU HOW TO MAKE A BIL A DAY
[03:11:00] Indiego Montoya > …
[03:11:04] Indiego Montoya > highsec ganking?
[03:11:20] Black Necromunger > NOPE I HAVE SEVERAL MEANS
[03:11:29] Indiego Montoya > highsec ganking…several people?
[03:11:44] Black Necromunger > NO
[03:11:47] Indiego Montoya > damn.
[03:11:52] Indiego Montoya > i was sure that was it.
[03:11:55] Black Necromunger > 10MIL And thats it
[03:12:12] Black Necromunger > and ill give you a guide
[03:12:23] Indiego Montoya > mmhmm.
[03:12:31] Indiego Montoya > ooo, you stopped talking in all caps.
[03:12:59] Black Necromunger > 🙂
[03:13:46] Indiego Montoya > woohoo!
[03:13:47] Black Necromunger > last chance
[03:13:51] Indiego Montoya > you missed three cans!
[03:13:53] Black Necromunger > im not bs’ing
[03:13:57] Indiego Montoya > 76 mil, baby!
[03:14:03] Indiego Montoya > i can rebuy everything with this!
[03:14:16] Black Necromunger > its pennys
[03:14:38] Indiego Montoya > no thanks man, you’ve already given me 76 mil today, i’d hate to infringe anymore on your generous hospitality
[03:14:57] Indiego Montoya > man, awesome, 76 mil on the gate.
[03:15:00] Indiego Montoya > thank you so much
[03:15:11] Black Necromunger > it was yours anyway
[03:15:18] Indiego Montoya > nah man
[03:15:23] Black Necromunger > silly
[03:15:29] Indiego Montoya > it was yours
[03:15:39] Indiego Montoya > you took it from me, then gave back 14%
[03:15:44] Indiego Montoya > thats 4 more than i asked for!
[03:15:48] Indiego Montoya > you’re awesome.
[03:16:12] Indiego Montoya > ooh! and fullerides are up 50 isk!
[03:16:14] Black Necromunger > i knw
[03:16:18] Indiego Montoya > best day ever!
[03:16:48] Indiego Montoya > man, i wont bother you any more, have a great nite
[03:16:52] Black Necromunger > you still lost near 300mil
[03:16:54] Indiego Montoya > i gotta get some silicates 25j thataway
[03:16:57] Indiego Montoya > so?
[03:16:58] Black Necromunger > silly boy
[03:16:59] Indiego Montoya > dude?
[03:17:05] Indiego Montoya > i just made 76 mil in 5 minutes.
[03:17:12] Black Necromunger > not the best day then is it
[03:17:13] Indiego Montoya > nothing can top that.
[03:17:20] Indiego Montoya > pah
[03:17:22] Black Necromunger > no you list 300mil in 15
[03:17:27] Indiego Montoya > minor setback
[03:17:38] Indiego Montoya > i can lose a hulk in 30 seconds and a rorq in a minute
[03:17:47] Indiego Montoya > but mining, gettin 200 mil takes hours.
[03:17:52] Black Necromunger > well your a mong then
[03:17:54] Indiego Montoya > this is like, 20 times faster
[03:18:10] Indiego Montoya > i’m gonna look for more of my corpses!
[03:18:19] Indiego Montoya > thanks again dude, i gotta fly.
[03:18:49] Black Necromunger > you are a mong…
[03:18:53] Indiego Montoya > whats a mong?
[03:18:56] Indiego Montoya > mongolian?
[03:18:59] Indiego Montoya > those dudes are awesome.
[03:19:05] Black Necromunger > tis you
[03:19:06] Indiego Montoya > all like “HRRARGH”
[03:19:12] Indiego Montoya > dude, you’re too kind
[03:19:13] Black Necromunger > run along mong
[03:19:15] Indiego Montoya > you’re a mongolian too.
[03:19:22] Indiego Montoya > let’s get some elephants.
[03:19:29] Indiego Montoya > wait, no, that’s huns.
P.S., The corp of the ganker apologized profusely and booted the ganker out of corp, apparently karma does exist. He made 300 mil off a successful risk and got booted out of a corp he joined yesterday which he probably didn’t plan to stay in.
[05:52:08] Indiego Montoya > if you apologize one more time i’m sending your CEO a letter saying that you were involved in it.
When I started my Eve account, I had dreams of becoming a master builder. Since then I’ve put a lot of industry jobs on hold to go mine in WH space. To some mining is boring. I however, have enjoyed my mining career. I’ve been able to buy some nice toys due to hours of sitting on Arkonor roids including a Freighter, T3 Cruiser, Orca, 2x Hulks, Plexes for a 3rd account, and even a Carrier that is currently sitting in lowsec awaiting a good link to our WH system.
Even though I have concentrated on mining over the past 1.5 years, I have done some building such as T1/T2 drones, T1/T2 Hybrid guns, and basic T1 modules since the BPOs were cheap. Now I’m embarking on a large project – build a Carrier in WH space since I’m becoming impatient waiting for a nice link from lowsec to our WH system and honestly, what is Eve without new challenges?
As many of you know, the majority of Eve projects begin with a spreadsheet to see if your idea is ISK-feasible. So now onto the estimations.
With a ME10, PE1 Thanatos BPC, I will need:
- Megacyte 17,941
- Zydrine 41,849
- Nocxium 232,855
- Isogen 823,502
- Mexallon 5,287,183
- Pyerite 14,128,271
- Tritanium 57,790,100
This comes to 784,000 m3 of minerals with Tritanium being the biggest spacehog. Sheesh, that’s two freighters full of minerals!
I scanned a link to highsec via a C2 and assembled my NPC shopping list:
- X-Large Ship Assembly Array, 90 M – builds the Carrier
- Component Assembly Array, 9 M – builds the Capital Ship parts
- Capital Ship Construction Skillbook, 65 M – I allows you to build fighters, III allows you to build Carriers. Only took some 3 hours to train to III with +4’s
- Small Ship Assembly Array, 90 M – builds Fighter Drones
Along with the NPC orders, I needed some BPCs so I started searching contracts in Jita.
- Capital BPCs purchased in Jita 4-4, each 5 unit run BPC was around 2-6 M for a total of about 180 M
- Thanatos BPC ME10 PE1, 70 M
- Firbolg BPO ME 20 PE 5, 75 M
Raw mineral cost based on Jita 4-4 buy orders:
- Megacyte 44.3 M
- Zydrine 56.3 M
- Nocxium 20.9 M
- Isogen 44.5 M
- Mexallon 15.6 M
- Pyerite 90.4 M
- Tritanium 156.0 M
Total: 428.1 M
A few nights ago we had a route from our WH -> C5 -> C2 (occupied with miners) -> C2 -> Highsec and lowesec exits. My corpmate and I made 2x Iteron V runs to get the X-Large Ship Assembly Array (25,000 m3) and Component Assembly Array (12,500 m3) into our WH system. They are currently anchored and offline (as to not consume fuel) since we are currently gathering minerals.
The biggest hogs are Mexallon @ 53,000 m3, Pyerite @ 142,000 m3, and Tritanium @ 578,000 m3 (!). That’s a LOT of Tritanium. Needless to say, I’ve been working on Veldspar, Plagioclase, and Scordite roids since they have the highest yield of the three minerals. I have the money to buy the Tritanium from Jita, but lack the will to haul it all in. So the more Veldspar I can eat up in WH grav sites, the less I will have to haul.
I’ve just started mining and have one hangar filled with raw ore so stay tuned for more industry adventures!
[Feb 17 Update]
Of course a few days after I write this article and bring construction equipment into WH space we get a nice WH link that is big enough to allow Capitals to enter. Details here.
In games, there’s generally two kinds of income: Active and passive. Active is, say, running a mission or killing ten wild boars, while passive incomes are essentially investing your pile of money in something and coming back after a certain amount of time to find a larger amount of money.
After losing the PoS Calculated Risk(Again, if anyone sees it, take a potshot at it and I’ll convo you from the “pos under attack” message), a friend pointed out to me how incredibly stupid it was to have a PoS running reactions in a C6, which was both difficult to access and was under impending doom from a carrier or dread, as well as having no moon mining ability, essentially making it nullsec in terms of risk but with none of the supplemented costs of moon mining.
So, I locked myself in a few gravs for a few days and managed to scrape together about 500 mil and enough self esteem to not shoot myself after spending a few days mining. After talking with a friend, he loaned me about 200 mil for starting up my idea and I started training an alt to manage the thing. This original hauling alt was followed by a combat alt, an emergency scan alt and a trade alt, so as of now all of my characters are involved in WH space in one way or another.
The origonal “Plan Awesome” went as follows:
1. Buy a PoS, silos, reactors, materials.
2. find/go into a WH you found previously
3. Setup the PoSes and get the reactions running
4. Forget about the entire thing for a week or so.
5. Come back, get the products to jita
Unfortunately, since I needed defenses on the towers, I was only able to use coupling arrays, meaning that instead of my projected “once a week” screw with, I had to manage these things every 14 hours. For the sake of my sleep schedule, I screwed with them every 12 hours.
Anyrate, the first revision of Plan Awesome came when we scanned a route to highsec that went through a C1. I logged a scan alt off in it, waited a few days to make sure it was unoccupied, and scanned an exit 3 jumps from jita at the same time we got a highsec exit from our C6 10 jumps from jita at the same time our freighter alt finished hauling my pile of PoS equipment crap to Jita.
Now, anyone with half a spinal column will tell you that you need a fleet of battleships and/or a dread or two to take down a large pos. Assuming, yaknow, if they could stop screaming long enough to form an opinion. A C1 has the nice perk of only allowing a BC or smaller inside, so on paper my PoS was practically immortal…assuming I didn’t get someone so pissed off at me that they built a PoS inside my WH, built a dread at it and used that to take down my PoSes, so I was able to completely forget about defenses and anchor reactors and silos to the large towers, meaning that I now only need to screw with these things every few days.
Anyway, the first PoS went up with several small, unimportant incidents that were all managed eventually and I was able to get a scan ship, an emergency scan ship, a second emergency scan ship and an emergency scan alt in his own scan ship logged off just in case I lost all three, which seemed impossible. Murphy’s law is an asshole.
Anyrate, remember how my main corp got wardecced?
To avoid getting my newbie char ganked, I made a corp and moved all parties involved into it. Well, at some point, unnoticed by me, one of the members of that wardeccing corp found his way into my WH and logged off.
Let me reiterate, there is absolutely no link between my main corp and the alt corp. Unless the dude was somehow in our private chat channel, there is no way to connect us. Anyway, my first day in the C1, I warp to where the static was yesterday and start scanning for a new one in a tech one scan frig. An arazu decloaks and starts shooting at me. I’m so surprised that he manages to get a lock on me and kills my less-than-a-mil scan ship, but I still get the pod out, get another scan frig, fit it, fly it to a different safespot and through a series of coincidences lose that one too. A bit unnerved, I log the scan alt on and scan a static, warp to it, warp my combat char to him, and head back to empire and buy more scan ships.
Over the course of the next week he kills four more scan ships and three salvage boats, culminating with me, sitting in a cleared anomaly while my salvage char zips around in a tristan picking up wrecks when the arazu warps in and starts locking the tristan. I tell the combat pilot, in a drake, to lock the arazu while telling the tristan to run his stupid ass off. He gets out, and the Arazu scrambles the drake. Then jams it. No stranger to ECM, I check my cargo for FoF missiles(damnit!) and keep trying to get a lock on him, waiting for the inevitable triple-ecm-fail that’s screwed my ECM ships over so many times. The jams fail, I get a lock, I launch one salvo of missiles and a falcon with a name suspiciously similar to the Arazu’s name warps in and jams me. They both launch drones and start pecking away at me. My only offensive option at this point is to launch my three hobgoblins(lost 2 during the anomaly) and hope I can eliminate enough of their DPS that they don’t break my passive tank. Surprise surprise, they’re 30km away and pop all my drones. I run through my options, and I’ve got none. Wait, no, make that one. One extremely stupid one. I log on my hauling char and head to my static to buy some FoF missiles.
I get to the static at about the same time that he starts getting past my tank, when I notice that he’s stopped scramming me. Trying to look as combaty as possible, I align to a planet and warp out just before my tank goes to armor. He posts in local:
“I’d kill you, but IRL issues. Bye”
I think I’d feel better if he had killed me…
Anyway, after a few days he leaves my WH and I get back into the swing of things, managing the PoS, running anomalies and selling stuff in jita. I manage to make it to jita with three days of products and nanoribbons and profit about 200 mil, so I switch to a more expensive, but higher profit moon goo reaction. That’s where I am now. The revised plan awesome now involves expanding this operation to every moon so that no-one can build a PoS of their own and attack me with a dread or something. And maybe to anchor some guns at some point.
January was the month of new ships for my characters. My main got into a Thanatos (Gallente Carrier) while my alt got into an Obelisk (Gallente Freighter). Here are some screenshots of their maiden voyage, mining in WH space (as always), and some attempted ganks by WH pirates.
- New Obelisk heading out of The Forge link
- Sleipnir stealing Arkonor from our jetcans after a failed gank link
- Mining a 150,000 unit Bistot roid link
- Tengu, Megathron, and Drake taking on sleepers in a C3 link
- Three Mobile Medium Warp Disruptor I‘s around a WH link
- A Helios approaching a Lava Planet link
- Route back to Jita from deep in 0.0 link
- Oneiros remote repping 3x ships during a WH camp link
- Gank during the onlining of a Large POS link
- ECM fun with a corpmate link
- Pretty POS shot in front of a planet link
- 5 Hulks and 1 Orca on a Arkonor roid link
Let me know if a monthly screenshot collection is something you guys want to see as a continuing feature.