First Cyno AdventurePosted: 2010-02-13
Don’t even think about getting into Capital ships until you have Jump Drive Operation to V with the two support skills, Jump Drive Calibration and Jump Fuel Conservation, to at least III if not IV. These are completely necessary skills in order to move a capital around. Jump Drive Calibration is especially important because it grants a 25% increase in maximum jump range per level (!). Additionally, Jump Fuel Conservation reduces fuel consumption by -10% per level.
We got a link to a C5 with a C140 WH (1,350,000,000 kg max jumpable mass) to Babirmoult (0.18) in the Solitude region. I brought out a scout from WH space and watched the only station in the system for an hour as I planned out the jumps for the Carrier and coordinated logistics with my Cyno-capable corpmate. If my Jump Drive Operation support skills were at 0, then it would have taken us 6 jumps. Good thing I spent the time training up the support skills to III.
Only 1 in local in the WH enterance system. I watched as he switched in between a Legion (T3 Cruiser) and a Sacrilege (T2 Heavy Assault Ship). Meanwhile, in the neighboring systems of Faurulle and Agaullores, there was a 25 person lowsec gategamp. Sheesh, well Eve is about adventure, right?
We decided that the timing wasn’t going to get any better so we planned our route.
- Lonetrek, Otsasai (0.35) Caldari State
- Black Rise, Iwisoda (0.24) Caldari State, Distance: 8.431 ly
- Placid, Grispire (0.18) Gallente Federation, Distance: 8.265 ly
- Solitude, Babirmoult (0.18) Gallente Federation, Distance: 9.333 ly
I got my scout into the 1st system, Otsasai, and cloaked him up outside the station.
Corpmate with a Cyno cruiser in place in the next system, green light issued for jump, cyno up, WHEEE! *jump*
I laded some 8k off of the Cyno cruiser so I cloaked up. Now comes the fun part where your Cyno ship cannot move for 5 minutes. After the capital ship successfully jumps, you have two options. Wait for the cyno cycle to finish or self-destruct your ship. The first two systems that we had to jump into were practically empty so we waited the full Cyno cycle.
Everything was going great until the last jump into the system with the WH when I got this notification when attempting to jump:
[ 2010.02.13 04:52:58 ] (info) This jump destination requires 7466 unit(s) of Oxygen Isotopes, but you only have 6615 in your cargo hold.
Um, uh oh. I tried to jump again.
[ 2010.02.13 04:53:10 ] (info) This jump destination requires 7466 unit(s) of Oxygen Isotopes, but you only have 6615 in your cargo hold.
Additionally, the WH from our C6 into the connecting C5 was going to close in less than 3 hours.
The Cyno Cruiser flew past some lowsec gatecamps in neighboring systems and into position. We dropped the last cyno right on top of the WH (less than 5km) so the Carrier could jump in right away.
Local looks good, green light issued for cyno, cyno up, *jump*.
[ 2010.02.13 05:22:38 ] h > lit @ 2.8k
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:01 ] Blake > landed 7k away
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:04 ] Blake > closing range
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:10 ] h > burn fast 😛
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:22 ] Blake > 60 m/s!
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:23 ] Blake > lol
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:26 ] h> XD
[ 2010.02.13 05:23:37 ] Blake > almost there
Overall a success. Now we have some remote repping power in WH space.
Cyno Operation Tips:
- After your Cyno module is activated, click it again to stop the cycle. This will ensure that you do not go into another Cyno cycle and become a sitting duck for another 5 minutes.
- Scout, scout, scout! Have corp mate(s) or alt(s) scout 1 or 2 systems ahead in your capital ship jump path. You can watch local traffic and really see when you have a good jump window.
- Train the Jump Drive Operation support skills up to at least III, if not IV.
- Cyno operations can be a blast. How else can you get through 13 systems in 1 jump?
- Don’t fly what you cannot afford to loose.
- Oh, and as always, check your clones and ship insurance before undocking.