I don’t have a lot of small gang lowsec PVP experience and in order to broaden my experience level, I like to enlist other people to show me the ropes. Sunday night I went on a 2 person Thrasher roam with JonnyPew of the Explorer’s Log Youtube series.
We ended up deciding on Thrashers since they are a versatile and throwaway PVP ship.
I really want a “Copy Ship Fit” option that will take the existing ship’s fit and assemble a duplicate in the same hangar. I only had to fit up 10 Thrashers and I was already getting annoyed. I found that if I put all the modules, ammo, and rigs in to a container and dragged out of that, it helped the mass fit process. I can’t imagine what the RVB people go through to fit up waves of disposable Rifters.
On our way to Tama from Jita, we played standoff with a frigate gang and tried to bait a few Faction Warfare people running sites. We ended up not engaging anyone and instead ganked a cyno alt that was waiting out a beacon. Too many times have I been on the receiving end of this action so it was nice to be the one shooting slugs into a helpless ship.
When we got into Tama, we found a solo Thrasher and attempted to bait it. It turns out that my AutoCannon fit was no match for the Artillery off-grid boosted Thrasher.
Our bait went successfully as I warped off to a clearly discernible planet at 30 after locating the solo Thrasher. He landed at 0 on the planet, 30k away, and locked me up. To my amazement he was getting hits on me from 20k away and as I voiced my amazement, JonnyPew informed me that he was most likely Artillery fit. My 1,100 optimal was no match and I went down in under 30 seconds. At least I got a ‘gf’ in local.
Sunday night US (1:00 Monday UTC) seems to be a good block of free time for me. I might try to make this Sunday night suicide roam a regular occurrence. If you are interested in FC’ing or tagging along, contact Blake Armitage in game. Skype conference seems to be the easiest way to communicate for me until I setup an official voice server.
What sources of player produced content have you been finding really entertaining? Here are a some shout-outs to my favorites over the past few months.
- Voices from the Void Podcast [link]. The majority of the Eve podcasts have fallen into obscurity or undergone major changes. Voices continues to deliver fresh, hilariousness content with dynamic hosts. Listening to them on Monday helps the day move by faster.
- JonnyPew’s guides [youtube]. Cleanly edited video guides on Exploration which have expanded into bot hunting have inspired me to go Cloakey and find fresh targets.
- The Alturist [link]. This PVP-centric blog is full of very technical information. The “Know Your Enemy” series describes in detail a ship class and how they are used in PVP scenarios. For an industry and trading focused person, this blog offers insight into a different area of Eve.
- Eve-fail [link]. Fellow industry and spreadsheet aficionado discloses his methods and bottom line profits for large projects.
- Jester’s Trek [link]. If you need to remain up to date on anything Eve related, this man has you covered. Any news, gossip, fits, or drama will be covered by this robo-blogger within a few minutes of happening.
- CCP Punkturis [twitter]. Best troll and very active UI programmer that interacts with the #tweetfleet community.