Advertisements

Miningzen’s scanning guide v2 (with pictures!)

Scanning, argued as being the only thing in Eve that takes skill, is a fairly integral part of WH life; to the point that if you can’t, and you’re alone, you’re dead. With that in mind, here is my guide to scanning. You’re
welcome.

First, what are you looking for, and are you in a hurry? If you’re looking for the odd site, a grav or radar, scanning is pretty straightforward and can be followed by the original post which was mostly funny but had a few gems of insight.

I’m going to go ahead and assume that you, the reader, know the basic principle of how to scan, I.E. press the “launch probes button” a few times and meander around a system slowly and tediously finding and cataloging every signature. Similarly, I’m going to assume that you want more from this post than “you should press the probes button a few times and meander around a system for a few hours”.

So, here’s my guide to finding a WH route in a hurry.

The first thing to know is, by design or accident, WHs are not very hard to find, even without basic scan skills. I’ve found radars that had me punching my desk in frustration after the third time of getting stuck at 95%, but never once found myself thinking “dangit, why can’t I pin this WH”.

Assuming you have mediocre or good skills in the scanning subdivision, and a mediocre or excellent scan ship (covops or t3 w/ sister gear), a WH will generally have a scan strength of 10-27% when scanned at about 4 au. So, essentially, setup the probes at 4 au and do a sweep of the system, going from planet to planet. Ignore any effing ladars that pop up at 70% or indeed 100% (happened twice), magnetometric (not likley), or radars (less likley). If you do happen to see an unknown, pin it, warp to it, BM it, weigh your options.

From what I’ve experienced, the easier WHs go to lighter systems (in terms of C1-6), so it stands to reason that the WHs you find on the first pass will either be good WHs, or k162s, which seem to similarly have a higher initial “strength” than other WHs.

I’d say as a blanket statement that if you do run into a k162, and the route’s still new, I’d just close the WH connecting you to the system with the k162 and start over. A k162, again, means that someone else is nearby, may have already activated the static of the system you’re sitting in, giving you less time to do your operations. He may be planning an ambush, or plotting a PoS attack (both unlikely). Admitted, seeing as you found the k162, he may never notice you, but I’ve found that people tend to notice new connections. Especially CCRES, AH, two seperate groups of russians and some germans, all of whom have spilled at us from K162s that we decided to stay connected to.

Alright, for the CCRES one we were asleep, but the fact that K162s are not fun stands. Try to find a static to static to static route for maximum stability and duration of the routes.

Here’s the above paragraph, but in more detail and with pictures.

First, bookmark the damn WH you came in from so you don’t end up rescanning the damn thing. Remember, informative is key, in this case where it goes, and whether it’s incoming or outgoing.

Second, launch probes. You might think this comes naturally, but I figured it was important enough to include. Use any number greater than three. I like seven.

After launching probes, get away from the WH. It takes only one smartbombing BS to ruin a cloaky’s day. I like to stay about 30-40km away, close enough to run back in in good speed but far enough away that it is highly unlikely that you’ll be decloaked by random jerks. Try to either keep in constant motion or not be between a celestial and the WH, because a ship warping in sometimes decloaked you when he goes through your ship at several thousand kilometers/second.

So, now that you’re cloaked (double check), actually enter scan mode.

On placement: make your probes look like this.

If you’re using four probes, then just do the plus sign. If you use any more than four, leave them in the center. I like to think it helps to have two of them one size smaller than the others, but that’s just me.

Now, pick a planet. A sig will only spawn within eight AU of a planet, but for the initial sweep I like to use 4 AU as a starting point. In my experience, sigs usually hang around or beside rather than above or below planets.

I usually start with middle planets, as there’s usually more sigs where there are more planets. Makes sense, right?
For this demonstration, though, I’m using the outer planet.
So, ready to hit scan? No, you’re not. Make sure the damn scan thingy is positioned correctly vertically.

OKeyes, now hit scan.

A ladar and two other things. Now, ladars being the wormhole equivalent of sewer runoff, ignore it and look at the other four.

One of them, ALT whatever, has three signatures and is at about 3% strength. This tells us that it’s too weak to be your usual wormhole. The other sig, tho, is below 25% but fairly close, so let’s center on that.

Scan that and… little red dot. Switch to vertical view:

excellent, reposition the center of your little cross/plus/times sign and rescan, BAM:

It’s a WH, So let’s decrease the size of the probes by one, make the cross shape again, do that a few times:

Scan for the last time, bang it’s a WH. Warp to it @ 20km in case of smartbombing BS, ectera.

BM it, and ignore it. Ironically, between the previous and next screenshot, two orcas jumped through and closed the WH.

Reset the probes to 4au, check the next planet.

Looks like nothing you can pin on the first pass, so let’s try the next one.

21% strength, very nice, very pinnable.

Get it lined up on the vertical plane (this has screwed up more than once scan for me)

Scan, annnnddd….it’s a grav.

That was the only “close” sig, so let’s check the next planet.

Hmm…the dots have split. I usually go off “If you get 25% strength or more when you add the strengths of the two dots together, go for it”. So, let’s hit YDX. Adjust the probes so that you’re encompassing the two dots in the middle and hit scan.

Wewt, unknown. Pin it, warp to it using the above “make the cross smaller” methods.

Awesome, it’s outgoing. First, check and make sure it’s not about to collapse. If it says “about to collapse” in the info, look at the actual WH. The more erratic and jagged the pulsing, the more likely you are to be screwed if you go through. If the WH is indeed critical, I like to use this simple test:
Can you and your corp finish scanning a route, get everything you need out, get everything you need in and be done in less than four hours?

If no, let the WH close/force collapse. If yes, let the WH close and self collapse, because generally the thing’s only got a hour or two left. Again, if you’ve stared at WHs long enough that you can usethe subtle nuances to determine the exact time it has till collapsing, go nuts, if not, let it shut and use a new/different route.

Now, let’s check if it’s the static. Open staticmapper or your corp’s super secret static database you won’t share with anyone.

In hindsight, this should have also been step one, to check the number of jumps recently along with checking the directional for activity.Click the yellow number next to constellation.

Awesome, looks like you’ve found the static. Record the thing in the database.

Continue scanning for the occasional random connection or just hop through the static. If you’re in a hurry and have several friends, hopping through statics and collapsing the route after the third C6 is generally the best way. If you lack several friends or for some other contrived reason have to use this route, I hope you don’t end up like the poor sod who scanned a 10 link route and still found nothing but the odd nullsec.

So, ya, have fun.

P.S. For those of you who wanted a “how to scan someone out without them noticing” guide, why the heck should I tell you? Get a corpmate to float in system in a hulk and pay him 5 mil every time he spots your probes.

Advertisements

8 Comments on “Miningzen’s scanning guide v2 (with pictures!)”

1. Jaggins says:

Is there a way to tell whether a WH is a static vs K162 before you warp to it after you scan it?

Nice guide!

• miningzen says:

nope T.T

Although if you wait 24 hours, the problem goes away by itself!

• Tal Brasi says:

In some cases I would say yes it is possible to tell whether the WH is a K162 or not. Static or not is different. Essentially, form my experience, all K162s have roughly the same signal strength, doesn’t matter if it leads to a C1 or a C6.

Scanning in highsec I have found that all K162 WHs will come at “x” probe strength where as the outbound ones such as R943 or Z971 will come at lower probe strengths. Thus in highsec I can quite safely say whether I’m warping to a K162 (good, people live on the other side) or an outbound one (just as good the people on the other side don’t know I’m coming).

This didn’t seem to work as well in the C2 we lived in, where our C1 (Z674) and Highsec (B274) statics came at the same scan strengths I would associate with K162 WHs.

In terms of K162 vs static, I assume you want to know before you warp so you avoid warping to your/a static and spawning its K162. Easiest way is if there are only 2 WHs in a system, and you came in from one the other has to be a static. Past this point it gets hard to tell, you could gamble on sig strengths as I said above. If you have 2 WHs the WH with the lower signal strength is less likely to be a K162 than the higher.

Beyond this knowledge of the static, via static mapper, or a good guess of what the static will be and an idea of what strength said static will have may allow some sort of pre-warp identification. That however is getting quite close to voodo and also needs a fair bit of time spent in WHs to allow accurate guessing.

For example I was working on a theory that certain C1s in a specific region always had low/nullsec statics. These statics came in at a much lower probe radii than the usual N110, or K162 WHs in C1s. Thus if I found one of these C1s in this specific region, and it had more than 2 WHs in I would assume that the lower strength one was its static and the other probably a K162 to highsec or a C2.

One issue you may have here is if you’re running about in a super pimped scan boat with implants, good skills e.t.c is that all these different sig strengths may coalesce and all WHs, no matter what the type come at say 2AU. I did most of my scaning in a Recon with a core launcher, rocking a rather low 57.2 scan strength on the core probes. Flying about in a cov ops with 110+ scan strength you may miss these subtlties, or they may just come at much higher probe radii, I don’t know. For those organic chemists amongst you think running a column with methanol vs a 5/3 EA/pet ether mix…..

Hope that helps

Excellent guide minningzen.

In terms of finding WHs specifically, you can also try the comparision of sig strengths, using a known WH to try and pick them out from a 32AU scan. The blogger at Tiger Ears seems to use it a lot. I’ve tried it and its ok, though if the WH has certain ladar/grav sites these can show up at around WH strength and mess the method up.

2. Adainy says:

I found myself using this guide today, and, subsequently, staticmapper, which was sexy.

3. Gauge says:

Scanning noob here but so far after reading your guide I am getting much better.

One question I have is you say to “switch to vertical view” . How do I do that?

Right now I launch my 6 probes into space and scan and than when I find something interesting I start scanning down that ID. The major problem I have is getting all the circles to overlap. Many times I end up with a nice looking cluster of overlapping circles only to look from antoehr angle and realize half of them are out in the middle of no where and the other half are well below where I need them.

Thanks for your guide and any assistance you could point me towards.

• Malkev says:

‘vertical view’ is just dragging the camera so you are viewing your probes from top down, as apposed to looking at them from the side.

As far as your probe placement, it sounds like you’re grabbing the wrong arrows on the probes, ie grabbing the up arrow when you think you’re grabbing the box to free-move the probe. Just keep moving the camera as you’re scanning, making sure your probes are on the same plane as the sig you are attempting to scan.

Basically, as soon as you select a sig, get your probes on the same plane, drop range, and then scan again, get probes on plane, scan again, rinse and repeat until you hit 100%.

Hope that helps.

4. Klann says:

launch from the same spot and rotate view so you can see only the front/back and left/right arrows. move them in the directions you chose until you’re satisfied, and then check the placement real quick.

5. Gauge says:

Thank for the reply. With following the guide and your answers here it seems I am getting a lot better with my scanning. I actually managed to find a Wormhole (J123568) last night in under 30 minutes where it normally was taking me almost an hour to scan down anything in the system. Seems like I just need to keep practicing and that will help a lot.

Thanks again for all your information. I really enjoy your blog and it really has me interested in eventually leaving my 0.0 alliance and trying a WH corp.